*
There are societies in which life shrimp is considered a delicacy. However, food scientists do not recommend eat raw shrimp since of the danger of food poisoning. Shrimp can bring bacteria, viruses, and also parasites. Normally, food preparation shrimp will be enough to kill the contaminants that naturally appear, make them safe to eat. However, pre-cooked shrimp served and sold in retail facilities have been recognized to lug bacteria and also viruses that can reason people to end up being ill upon eating them.

You are watching: What happens if you eat raw shrimp

Cooked Shrimp Recalled due to Bacteria

In March, AFC distribution Corp. Recalled its cooked Butterfly Tail-On Whiteleg Shrimp since it may have been contaminated with Vibrio parahaemolyticus. The shrimp were provided as one ingredient because that sushi offered at retailers in dozens the states, including Illinois. There were no reported illnesses related to the shrimp at the time of the recall.

Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a bacteria discovered in saltwater and also raw shellfish. Symptoms frequently last increase to 7 days and also may include:

DiarrheaNauseaVomitingFeverHeadaches

An average, healthy adult deserve to usually recoup from Vibrio parahaemolyticus there is no requiring any added treatment. Human being with pre-existing conditions that threaten their immune systems are at higher risk that suffering severe or even deadly impacts from the bacteria. Freezing does no kill the bacteria. Only thoroughly food preparation the shrimp is known to kill it.

Safety v Shellfish

All shellfish are dangerous come consume raw or undercooked because of the bacteria the they normally ingest. If you are someone with a dilute immune system, it might be ideal to prevent eating shellfish. As soon as preparing shellfish on your own, you have to be mindful to thoroughly cook it so that it is safe to eat:

When you are cooking the shellfish, that shell should crack open if that is completely cooked.Once you notice the shell has actually cracked open, you need to still continue cooking it for several more minutes.Do no eat shellfish that you uncover with that shell already cracked open prior to cooking because it might be contaminated.If you have actually removed the shell prior to cooking, the shellfish should come to be opaque and also firm once it is done.

See more: Life Cycle Of A Birds Printable For Kids, Bird Life Cycle

Contact one Illinois Food Poisoning Lawyer

You should instantly see a doctor if friend have become ill after eat shellfish. Friend should also talk come an Illinois food poisoning attorney at Newland & Newland, LLP, about whether you have the right to receive compensation from the party that offered or prepared the shellfish. Come schedule a consultation, speak to 312-981-0409.

Source:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/cooked-butterfly-tail-whiteleg-shrimp-sushi-ebi-lot-20191002